Cinnamon-Apple Braised Pork
- 2 pound bone-in pork shoulder roast about 3/4 inch thick
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup carrot juice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Remove pork from fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking. Salt each side generously. Also, season with pepper if desired.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the bacon fat over medium-high heat. Sear the pork on both sides, 3 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the next 4 ingredients (apple juice through ginger). Pour over pork; bring to a low simmer and cover.
- Let cook for 30 minutes. Flip and let cook, covered again, for another 25 to 30 minutes until all liquid has almost completely evaporated. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A Big Salad tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette (In a large bowl, toss together torn lettuce (not iceberg - no nutrition) and salad veggies of your choice. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 clove pressed garlic and a pinch of dried basil and oregano; drizzle dressing over salad.) NUTRITION: 465 Calories; 34g Fat; 30g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 124mg Cholesterol; 135mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; ½ Fruit; 4 ½ Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!