Chicken Chili with Black Beans and Sweet Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 2 inch cubes
- 2 large red onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 28-oz. can plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 15-oz. can black beans drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup dark beer or low sodium chicken broth
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and sear chicken 3 to 4 minutes until browned.
- In a large slow cooker, add chicken and remaining 11 ingredients (onions through beer) and cook on low for 8 hours until chicken is cooked through.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Warm buttered corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: Use canned white beans instead of chicken thighs and adjust cook time. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure plum tomatoes and beer (or chicken broth) are gluten free. NUTRITION: 500 Calories; 11g Fat; 31g Protein; 69g Carbohydrate; 15g Dietary Fiber; 54mg Cholesterol; 96mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain (Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!