- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 andouille sausages cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 28-oz. can plum tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 medium avocado peeled, pitted and cubed
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat and sear sausages 3 to 4 minutes until browned.
- In a large slow cooker, add sausages and next 9 ingredients (onion through pepper) and cook on low for 7 hours 30 minutes, add shrimp and cook an additional 30 minutes. Top with avocado to serve.
Serving Suggestion: Big Salad tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette (1 head lettuce (any kind but not iceberg), torn, Salad veggies of choice, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 garlic clove, pressed, Dried basil, to taste, Dried oregano, to taste. Directions- In a large bowl, toss together torn lettuce and salad veggies of your choice. In a small bowl, whisk together extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and a pinch of dried basil and oregano; drizzle dressing over salad.)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Wondering about the consistency. No liquid other than tomatoes. I added some broth/liquid to the crockpot…Maybe that ingredient was omitted from the recipe? Making this for dinner tonight! Smells really good!
Hi Susan! We are glad to hear your Cajun Stew is smelling good! The recipe calls for one 28 oz. can–or 3.5 cups–of plum tomatoes; it sounds like the addition of broth would also be delicious, especially if you like a little thinner consistency to your stew. We would love to hear how it turns out! Have a great day!