Summer Squash and Chicken Lasagna Bake
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 4 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 4-oz. can tomato paste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 medium summer squash cut into thin slices
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 large avocado peeled, pitted and sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil and cook the onions and the garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Add the next 5 ingredients (tomatoes through oregano) and season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat down to low and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- To prepare the lasagna, in a medium-large size baking dish, alternating layers of summer squash slices with layers of the meat sauce. Keep making layers until all of the ingredients have been used.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the squash is soft and tender. Serve warm garnished with parsley and avocado.
Serving Suggestion: Big Salad tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette (1 head lettuce (any kind but not iceberg), torn, Salad veggies of choice, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 garlic clove, pressed, Dried basil, to taste, Dried oregano, to taste: Directions- In a large bowl, toss together torn lettuce and salad veggies of your choice. In a small bowl, whisk together extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and a pinch of dried basil and oregano; drizzle dressing over salad.)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!