Spicy Quinoa Salad
- 5 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn defrosted
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large avocados peeled and chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups quinoa cooked according to package directions
- 6 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Defrost corn and cook quinoa.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat, and saute onions 5 to 7 minutes until soft, add beans, corn and sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and saute 2 to 3 minutes until the vegetables are warmed through.
- In a food processor or blender, add 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 avocado, lemon juice, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and honey. Pulse 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, add quinoa, spinach, feta, vegetables and toss with avocado vinaigrette.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Sweet potatoes fries (peel sweet potatoes and cut into “fries”; toss with olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 425-degree oven, turning once, season to taste with salt, pepper and chili powder). VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: No changes necessary. NUTRITION: 517 Calories; 18g Fat; 19g Protein; 77g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 185mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!