- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds pork shoulder cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 shallots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 habanero chilis seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup beer or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lime cut into 6 slices
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and sear pork 3 to 5 minutes per side until golden.
- In a large food processor or blender, add 4 tablespoons olive oil, and the next 11 ingredients (shallot through salt and pepper). Blend 1 to 2 minutes until smooth.
- In a large slow cooker, add pork, ingredients from blender, beer and chicken broth. Cook on low for 8 hours until pork is cooked through.
- Serve pork with slices of lime.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad (lettuce -not iceberg-, salad veggies, salad dressing). VEGETARIAN: Use tofu instead of pork. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beer and chicken broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: 451 Calories; 34g Fat (69.5% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 81mg Cholesterol; 164mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 5 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!