Chipotle Beef Tacos with Salsa Verde
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast cut into 2 inch cubes
- 2 large red onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tablespoons canned chipotle chilis in adobo sauce chopped, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup beer or low sodium chicken broth
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 5 medium tomatillos husked and chopped
- 1 serrano chili seeded and diced, or jalapeno
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 large avocado peeled and chopped
- 6 large whole wheat flour tortillas warmed
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and sear beef 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden.
- In a large slow cooker, add beef, onions, garlic, chipotle peppers, thyme, beer and sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and cook on low for 8 hours until beef is cooked through.
- In a blender or food processor, add tomatillos, serrano chili, cilantro, lime juice and sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Blend 1 minute until smooth. Place in a small bowl and add the chopped avocado.
- Place beef on warm tortilla and top with salsa Verde
SERVING SUGGESTION: Relish tray of carrot and celery sticks, cucumber spears, cherry tomatoes and black olives. VEGETARIAN: Use black beans instead of beef chuck and adjust cook time. Use low sodium vegetable broth if not using beer. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tortillas, beer (or chicken broth) and chipotle peppers are gluten free. NUTRITION: 526 Calories; 30g Fat (52.0% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 471mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 4 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!