- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 medium boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 2 inch cubes
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 large onions chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin divided
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 medium limes juiced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt divided
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and sear chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper, 3 to 5 minutes per side until golden.
- In a large food processor or blender, add bell pepper, onions, garlic, paprika, coriander, cayenne, 1 teaspoon cumin, ginger, turmeric and juice of 1 lime, 1/2 cup yogurt. Blend 1 to 2 minutes until smooth.
- In a large slow cooker, add chicken, tomatoes, ingredients from blender, chicken broth, cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours until chicken is cooked through.
- In a small bowl, add remaining yogurt, cumin and lime juice. Stir to combine and serve with the chicken mixture.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Salad of torn Romaine lettuce, sliced green onions and avocado and orange sections, tossed with extra virgin olive oil and lime juice. VEGETARIAN: Use cubed sweet potato in place of the chicken, and use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure that the spices, chicken broth and yogurt are all gluten free. NUTRITION: 297 Calories; 11g Fat (31.9% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 118mg Cholesterol; 241mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!