Pork Gyros with Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds pork tenderloin
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber peeled and chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 pita bread rounds grilled
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, add olive oil, pork, 2 garlic cloves, oregano and sea salt the freshly ground pepper to taste. Marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- On an outdoor or indoor grill heat olive oil over medium high heat and grill pork 7 to 8 minutes per side until cooked through. Remove and thinly slice pork.
- In a small bowl, add yogurt, remaining garlic, cucumber, tomatoes, dill, vinegar and sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir to combine.
- Place pork in grilled pita, top with tomato yogurt sauce and red onion.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Sweet potato fries (peel sweet potatoes and cut into “fries”; toss with olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 425-degree oven, turning once, until tender; season to taste with salt, pepper and chili powder). VEGETARIAN: Use tofu instead of pork tenderloin. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure Greek yogurt, red wine vinegar and pitas are gluten free. NUTRITION: 433 Calories; 11g Fat (22.4% calories from fat); 42g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 101mg Cholesterol; 420mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!