Crock Cooker: Squash Casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups sliced yellow summer squash
- 4 cups sliced Zucchini
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 scallions chopped
- Grease a crock cooker with olive oil.
- In large bowl, mix squash, zucchini, onion and 1 tablespoon butter.
- In the crock cooker, mix squash mixture, 1 cup of the bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the sour cream, garlic, salt and pepper and broth.
- In small bowl, mix remaining 1 cup bread crumbs, remaining 1/2 cup cheese and the melted butter.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over squash.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 2 hours. Uncover and let stand 30 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with chopped scallions and serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad and some garlic toast. VEGETARIAN: Use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure that all the seasonings and broth are gluten free. Use almond meal in place of the bread crumbs. NUTRITION: 392 Calories; 22g Fat (50.1% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 42mg Cholesterol; 534mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!