Cashew Beef Stir-fry
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 inch ginger grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil divided
- 2 pounds beef sirloin cubed (1 inch)
- 4 medium bell peppers seeded and sliced
- 2 large zucchini quartered
- 12 ounces snow peas
- 4 large green onions chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- In a small bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients and set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, toast cashews on low heat until golden brown, stirring. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Return wok or skillet to medium heat and add 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil. Add beef and cook until brown for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Move beef to the side of the wok and add remaining sesame oil, bell peppers, zucchini and snow peas. Cook vegetables for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir beef and cashews into vegetables. Pour the sauce over and cook until vegetables are tender and sauce has thickened, for 4 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and serve hot over brown rice.
SERVING SUGGESTION: This is a complete meal on its own. VEGETARIAN: Use yellow squash in place of the beef. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure that the soy sauce, all seasonings and sesame oil are all gluten free. Use arrowroot powder in place of the cornstarch. NUTRITION: 698 Calories; 39g Fat (49.6% calories from fat); 38g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 96mg Cholesterol; 490mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 3 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!