Bacon and Artichoke Stir-Fry
- 1 pound bacon chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups artichokes chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme chopped
- 1 large apple cored and chopped
- 1 large shallot diced
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon. Cook for 10 minutes, until bacon, is brown and very crispy.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and discard all but 1/2 tablespoon of bacon fat from skillet.
- To the skillet, add the onion, salt and pepper, and artichokes. Cook for 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- To the artichoke mixture, add the cooked bacon and the thyme, apple, and shallot and stir.
- Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Braised kale. (Remove ribs from greens. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Gradually add greens and cook, turning with tongs, until slightly wilted; add 1 cup of water or broth and salt and pepper to taste; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.) NUTRITION: 557 Calories; 42g Fat (67.9% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 72mg Cholesterol; 1427mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 6 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!