Slow Cooked Mediterranean Meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest ground
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes
- In a large bowl, mix the first 5 ingredients (beef through garlic powder). Form meat mixture into meatballs.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat coconut oil. To the oil, add the meatballs and cook on each side for 2 minutes, until brown.
- In a large crock cooker, place the meatballs.
- In a large bowl, mix the remaining 7 ingredients well (beef broth through diced tomatoes).
- Pour over the meatballs, cover and cook for 5 to 8 hours, until meatballs are no longer pink in the center.
- Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Zucchini pasta (julienne or cut large zucchini lengthwise into thin strips; stir-fry in a skillet coated with olive oil over medium-high heat until slightly limp). NUTRITION: 500 Calories; 39g Fat (70.4% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 138mg Cholesterol; 354mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; ½ Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 5 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!