Crock Cooker: Stuffed Turkey Peppers
- 2 medium carrots shredded
- 1 medium zucchini shredded
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3/4 cup cooked and chopped bacon
- 1 cup finely minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 teaspoons dried basil divided
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano divided
- 1 cup tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Remove as much water as possible from the carrots and zucchini by squeezing them in a kitchen towel.
- Add the first 9 ingredients (carrots through parsley) and 1 tablespoon basil and 1 teaspoon oregano to a large mixing bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until all incorporated.
- Put the tomato paste, salt and pepper into the bottom of the crock cooker and stir to combine.
- Prepare the peppers by removing the stems and seeds. Begin stuffing the peppers with the meat mixture, pressing the meat down with a spoon to pack tightly.
- Place the stuffed peppers into the center of the crock cooker, avoiding the sides or they might burn.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove from the crock cooker and put into an oven-safe baking dish. Put mozzarella on the top of peppers. Place the pan of peppers under your oven broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden-brown.
- Remove and serve with the tomato mixture from the bottom of the crock cooker warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big spinach salad. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato paste and mozzarella is gluten free NUTRITION: 559 Calories; 35g Fat (56.7% calories from fat); 40g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 140mg Cholesterol; 1602mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 3 ½ Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!