Chicken Pesto Pasta
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 10-oz. packages frozen peas thawed
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1 large lemon zest and juiced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 large chicken breasts grilled, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package in a large pot of boiling water. Add 1 package of peas and cook 1 more minute. Reserve 1 cup pasta water and drain. Return to pot.
- In a food processor, grind almonds. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, remaining package of peas and salt.
- Process to combine leaving motor running and add oil slowly until smooth. Add mixture to pasta. Toss to coat and add reserved water to make the sauce incorporate. Add grilled chicken and continue to toss until coated.
- Add pepper and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad (lettuce -not iceberg-, salad veggies and salad dressing). VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties instead of chicken breasts. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure pasta is gluten free. NUTRITION: 838 Calories; 35g Fat (37.5% calories from fat); 57g Protein; 73g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 124mg Cholesterol; 704mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Grain (Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 3 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!