Warm Bacon and Endive Salad
- 1 pound bacon chopped
- 1 large leek chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups chopped endive
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon, leeks, mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 10 minutes, until bacon is very brown and crispy.
- Transfer bacon mixture to a paper towel lined plate.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet. To the skillet, add the endive. Cook for 5 minutes, until slightly tender.
- In a large bowl, toss the remaining 4 ingredients (vinegar through honey), and add the bacon mixture and the endive. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed broccoli. NUTRITION: 589 Calories; 49g Fat (74.8% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 72mg Cholesterol; 1376mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 7 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!