Sri Lanken Fish Stew
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 small red chili pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth or bone broth
- 2 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk canned
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 pound mussels cleaned (optional)
- 1 pound firm white fish fresh or frozen, cubed
- 3 cups cooked broccoli florets
- 1 medium lime juice and zest
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a large pot, heat butter over medium heat. In the pot, sauté garlic, onion, and pepper for 3 minutes.
- To the pot, add the next 4 ingredients (cumin through turmeric) and stir. Cook 1 minute and then add broth and coconut milk.
- To the pot, add shrimp, mussels, and fish. Over medium heat, simmer seafood for 12 to 15 minutes, or until fully cooked. The mussels should be fully open and the fish will flake easily with a fork. To the pot, add lime juice and zest, and broccoli. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- In individual bowls, serve soup. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serving Suggestion: Cauli - rice (Process cauli flower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice” till tender; drain; salt and pepper to taste and butter, fluff with a fork.)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!