Slow Roasted Lemongrass Chicken
- 1 large whole chicken giblets removed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 2 large stalks lemongrass minced, tender inner white bulbs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Place the chicken in a large crock cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine first 5 ingredients (garlic through chili powder).
- Using your fingertips, carefully loosen the skin of the chicken then insert ghee mixture and spread along the surface of the chicken (under the skin).
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients (broth through maple syrup); pour mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until chicken is extremely tender and falling off the bone.
- Allow chicken to cool then remove meat from the bones and serve
SERVING SUGGESTION : Steamed green beans and Faux - Tay - Toes (steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with ghee, salt and pepper to taste till you get a mashed potatoes texture). NUTRITION: 5 32 Calories; 36g Fat (61.4% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 194mg Cholesterol; 181mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 4 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!